Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

George Washington, Slave Catcher


       Yesterday was Presidents' Day, and the New York Times published an op-ed piece that has been getting a lot of traffic on the world wide web, entitled George Washington, Slave Catcher, complete with an eye-grabbing graphic of the General riding upon an enormous iron-shackled hand, a hand carrying him forward.
       It is an important article and I'm glad it is going viral. I admire Professor Dunbar's work. But the article, in its brevity, tells just part of a much bigger, and more important story. Ultimately, it is the story of the making of America.
       And since I'm making that claim, I will take this opportunity to officially announce that the life story of Ona Judge Staines, from her birth in a slave cabin at Mount Vernon to her death in fugitive slave cabin at Greenland, NH seventy-five years later is the basis of the 125,000 word novel I have been working on for over two years and am finishing this winter. It truly is a remarkable story, so rich in characters that I had to invent none. Places and events are all real and familiar too, though they are of a long ago that is much less familiar. I so look forward to sharing it with the world.

http://nyti.ms/1FgSnvk


http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/16/opinion/george-washington-slave-catcher.html?_r=1



2 comments:

  1. Is your story published? I read this article and it disturbed me because I felt like it was omitting something. Am I right? WHere can I learn more? THanks. Kathryn kvanderpol@swbell.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. pas cher nike air max, combinant un style élégant et une technologie de pointe, une variété de styles de pas cher nike hyperdunk, le pointeur marche entre votre style de goût exclusif.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting.